Bank Barn Renovation
The Bank Barn, built in 1862, is set into the sloping site to accommodate it’s initial use. The design creates a new courtyard and koi pond at the lower entry level of the house. The existing structure is composed of thick fieldstone walls with a solid hand hewed chestnut post and beam frame resting on top. The two story wood frame space that once contained bails of hay is enclosed to become the new entry, gallery and dining room. A large opening in the south facing gallery wall connects the interior of the house to the landscape at the living level. The interior of the house plays like a big tree house. Lighted from above, all the rooms of the house are placed in this space using walls and volumes to partition public from private spaces and create a dramatic play of light.
Michael Ryan Architects, collaboration with Christopher Jeffrey Architect