Project: Private Residence, Hampton Bays, New York
Completion in 2013.
Today we have the opportunity to re-invent the way we make buildings. Buildings consume 40% of our country’s energy, 22% of that total is from residential consumption. Energy companies have us in the palms of their hands. It’s your choice to keep paying them!
Sheridan Green is a self-sustaining residence. The house will achieve a Tier 3 Energy Star Rating while reaping all state & federal tax breaks and incentives. It creates it’s own energy by using both active & passiveheating and cooling strategies. It collects and reuses all of it’s rain water. Vegetative roofs are used to cool the house and provide sustenance. The combination of these ideas is a version of MODERN-HOMESTEADING. Your property, your energy, your choice!
The house is located on a gravel road, close to the Peconic Bay in Long Island. The wooded 1.1 acre lot falls 20 feet in height from the front to rear. The building is set into the hill, creating an upper Entry Level for the House and Studio, and a lower Courtyard Level which all the Living spaces surround. The house is 2,000 sq.ft.
MICRO-PLANTING: This is a solution where each building can create enough of it’s own energy to exist independent of the power grid. This house uses a combined system of an open-well geo-thermal radiant floor heating/forced air cooling system with a 7 kilowatt PV array providing all the electric to run the geo-thermal heat pumps and the entire electrical needs of the house.
Millions of smaller energy saving solutions can have a greater affect than singular larger ones! Energy companies will tell you otherwise BUT, your house & property can be it’s own power plant, farm and most importantly, your independence! Join the revolution!
- Foundation - poured concrete with exterior set board insulation for earth damming cooling effects.
- Insulation -open cell foam R-25 ext. walls, R-38 ext ceilings/attic, R-10 foundation walls/slab.
- Envelope - Zip-system sheathing/waterproofing system
- Roofing - white EPDM membrane w/ sedum plantings.
- Floors - radiant heated poured concrete at lower level, radiant “warm-board” ply at upper level.
- Siding/Trim/Trellis - natural finish vertical t&g rough sawn western red cedar.
- Windows/Doors - high performance Low E, double pane insulated panels.
- Lighting - LED, fluorescent, natural daylighting.